• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Odd smell during frementation

chas382

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey all...new to the board. I have brew a few batches of extract ale and decided to try an extract lager. I purchased a chest freezer and temp. controller..both work fine. I don't know if it is because of the confined space or the WLP 830 German yeast but the airlock is giving off a sour odor. Is this normal? Maybe I just never noticed since I fermented my ales in a spare bathroom. I used a stepped up starter and have the temp at 54* F . Thanks for any help.

The smell given off by fermenting brew is less than pleasant, and in my opinion lager smells worse than ale.

Imagine working in a room full of traditional open fermentation vats. Yea, that would be great.
Anyway, you can get sulpher smells during the early part of fermentation. Just watch your temps, they should go away.
Ed

wait until you taste the beer..if it tastes fine, who cares how it smelled during fermentation!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am anxious to try this beer. It is a first attempt Maibock. I will just have to be patient and hopefully the reward will be worth it. Thanks again....

Back