• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Full Boil in 3 gal pot

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Curious as to the best way to setup a recipe when doing 2 half boils to get a full boil result?  I only have a 3 gal pot so yes, i double my brew day.

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

Never tried anything like that; I would guess cut all of your ingredients in half.
I would strongly suggest using FermCap S.  The stuff below is from the manufacturer
This will reduce the foam on top of your boil and keep it in the pot instead of on your stove.  :)

-D

FermCap S
FermCap S is a unique emulsion of an extremely effective surface active agent Dimethylpolysiloxane which prevents foam formation by reducing surface tension. It is used to control foam in kettle and during fermentation. It is completely removed from the beer after fermentation by the yeast and filtration. As a result of preserving hydrophobic beer proteins in solution it actually improves beer foam retention in the finished beer.

It can be a challenge for sure, here is what I do

Heat a couple qts for steeping, with heat off add DME and mix well, add H2o and bring to 2.75 gals, return to boil.  Sure helps to keep the foam down.

Toy4Rick

I've considered such an adventure when I only had 2 5 gallon pots.
Know that 2 3 gallon pots is probably still not going to get you to 5 gallons with no post boil top up. In essence compared to one boil you'll need twice as much head room to avoid boil overs, you'll have twice as much boil off, twice as much loss to trub.

How I would treat it is like 1 boil in your 3 gallon pot times 2.

I'm just guessing here.
Boil volume: 2.25 gallons
Boil off: .5 gallons
Loss to trub: .25 gallons
Times 2

Into the fermenter: 1.5 gallons
Times 2

Even if you want to push your head space for boil overs like I did that would still only be 4 gallons in the fermenter.

For the cost of about 2 batches you can come up with a 30qt turkey fryer pot or a 22qt stainless pot.

Back