• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lost recipes

Ilovebeer

Brewer
Reaction score
I have been using BeerSmith for about 5 years and generally have no problems. But twice lately, I have entered recipes and gone back later and they were not there. The first time, when I started BrewSmith, it said that I was using an unregistered copy and had to reenter my key. Then when I did, the recipe I had entered the day before was not there. I figured the two were related and didn't worry about it. But it happened again, and this time without the missing key. I am running Win 7 Pro. Any thoughts?

Hi,
  The default behavior of the program is to go to a backup if it can't open the current recipe file for some reason.  It makes a backup copy about once a day when you use the program regularly.  The backups are in the Documents/BeerSmith2 directory and are called "Recipe1.bsmx. Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) from new to old.

I would have to conclude that something went wrong either writing or reading the previous recipe file (the one from the previous day).  If it happens again you can try saving off a copy of Recipe.bsmx before you close out BeerSmith (do it as quickly as possible after opening and discovering the error - before the autosave timer kicks in) and I can take a look at  it.

The other area where I've heard of problems is when people are using Dropbox or a network drive for storing their recipe data. These sometimes fail to synch which causes the program to drop back to the last good copy.

Brad

Hi

I've just experienced that I lost all my recipes, story is:
This is my first use of Beersmith for more than a month and when starting program a message appears telling that my trial period had expired and I need to register. I found my mail with access code and entered it as required.

When I restarted Beersmith only example recipes was shown. I checked if path in setup to my recipes was intact, and it was, then opened directory in Windows Explorer to check what had happened. Here I found all new files made. oddly enough with the date of tomorrow (January 25th). Files are stored on my network server. I checked date setting on server and found that date was correct, January 24th, although time zone was set wrong but I can't imagine that should make any difference.

Thereafter I updated Beersmith to latest version and got a new set of files and 'old' files with an added '1' in file name, just as one could expect.

I 'only' lost recipes from May until December because I still have Beersmith 1.4 installed but still very annoying.

Regards
Fpbryg

Thanks,
I will certainly take a look at the date issue - I am not sure how it would affect behavior here though unless it is stopping the program from making proper backups somehow (it does look at the previous file date when making a backup file).

I'm a bit surprised it was not making backup files (Recipe1.bsmx, Recipe2.bsmx, etc...) - these should be created unless the date is way off.  I also would have expected one of these would contain your old data.

I have seen more problems with data corruption on network servers - not sure why but I suspect there may be problems reading/writing from the servers (not to mention some people that try to share data between more than one copy of BeerSmith on two computers).

I will certainly look to see if the date problem is causing the backups not to be made which could cause total data loss if your main file gets corrupted and you have no backups at all.

Brad

Looks like BeerSmith auto updated to version 2.3.7 recently...upon starting today I had to enter activation code--no big deal.  However, all my recipes are gone from my computer.  Searched the /beersmith2 directory and loaded recipe.bsmx file as well as a recipe1.bsmx file...also checked my archives and backup folder to no avail.  Any idea where my old recipes went?  Making yeast starter today and need my planned OG...don't want to recreate it if I don't have to.  Please help...soonest.

Back