• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

diluting a recipe

rrc2

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is a way that I can view the effect of pre or post-boil dilution on my entire recipe? The dilution tool is great for calculating gravity, but what if I want to see the effect of dilution on my IBU's  and SRM? I tried changing the setting for top-up water, but it had no effect in the recipe design section.

When you are building a recipe, the numbers you see in here are all post-boil.  If you wanted to compare, IBU for instance, you could use the bittering tool and compare it with what you see in the recipe.  My question for you is, why does it matter what the pre-boil numbers are?

It really doesn't matter what the pre-boil numbers are, I shouldn't have typed it that way.  My thing is this: I'm brewing BIAB with a five-gallon kettle so there is only so much space in the pot during the mash.  What I like to do sometimes is add extra grain to the mash to overshoot my gravity, then after I remove the grains and there is more space in the kettle I top up before the boil so that I can have a larger batch in the end without having to use a larger kettle.  I would like to be able to account for this top up water in my recipe design, so that I can see what my final, post-boil, gravity, IBU's, and color would be, but every time I've tried adding top-up water to the recipe, nothing changes?

rrc2 said:
It really doesn't matter what the pre-boil numbers are, I shouldn't have typed it that way.  My thing is this: I'm brewing BIAB with a five-gallon kettle so there is only so much space in the pot during the mash.  What I like to do sometimes is add extra grain to the mash to overshoot my gravity, then after I remove the grains and there is more space in the kettle I top up before the boil so that I can have a larger batch in the end without having to use a larger kettle.  I would like to be able to account for this top up water in my recipe design, so that I can see what my final, post-boil, gravity, IBU's, and color would be, but every time I've tried adding top-up water to the recipe, nothing changes?

Pre boil dilution actualy does mater as the Hop utilazation is effected. for example the more concentrated a wort is  (higher amt of sugars) the less hop bitterness is extracted and conversally the more dilute the wort the more hop extraction will be. now a post boil dillution after isometrized hops are present in the wort the dillution is less of a factor as the number of Ibu's present already exist . here is a formula to calculate your  OG with a calculated dillution.

(measured OG x gallons collected ) + (SG of your top up water x gallons used ) / total gallons = dilluted wort OG

e.g. -    (1.076 x 3.75) + (1.008 x 1.75) / 5.5 = 1.054 Dilluted with 1.75gallons of fresh water.

hope this helps.

It sounds like you are doing your own way that works for you and your equipment.  This is not a bad thing, it is actually really cool to see how guys do things different.  Unless I have totally misunderstood what you are looking for, I think that there are two areas to look at.  First, I think that if you started fine tuning your efficiency then you would not have to over grain and then play the dilute game.  Second, look at adjusting your batch size.  All other numbers in the recipe are based on the batch size.

Back