• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stuck fermentation question

benzy4010

Apprentice
Reaction score
ok this is my first batch. i brewed it around newyears and i took a gravity reading two days ago and it was at 1034. I was told to gently swirl the fermentation bucket in order to get the yeast to re suspend. it has recently developed a new krausen layer and is bubbling away again at first rapidly but now slowly. i know you dont judge a beers fermentation by the air lock but when should i take another gravity reading. i plan on waiting until at least saturday or even sunday. do i need to swirl again or possibly pitch more yeast?  its a belgian strong dark ale. and i used a smack pack for the yeast. when it first started to ferment it went crazy and im glad i had a blow off tube so in the beginnig it was doing great but somehwere along the line it went dorment. it also has been moved to a warmer room. any advice? what do i watch for in order to know if its stuck again?

should i just pitch another smack pack tomorrow or just wait and see?

A few questions first ..... what was the OG ? did you make a starter ? what yeast ( to better understand attenuation ) etc. thanks.

i didnt pitch any but i just sorta swirled the bucket around and it must have resuspended the yeast because its fermenting again pretty well

what's the temperature you're fermenting at?  Being an Ale I would assume you'd need to be at least in the mid-60's. 

benzy4010 said:
i didnt pitch any but i just sorta swirled the bucket around and it must have resuspended the yeast because its fermenting again pretty well

what makes you think it is fermenting well?

Back