• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Amount of time for Diacetyl rest

chas382

Apprentice
Reaction score
The recipe I have for a Maibock says to use a 24 hour Diacetyl rest. But I have read today that Most people use a 48 hour rest. I already did the 24 hour and racked to secondary. Will the beer be alright? is this enough time?

Certain yeasts are more prone to producing undesirable esters than others.  A diacetyl rest is not always needed but with my lagers I use a rest of anywhere from 24 to 48 hours at approx. 68 degrees.  I definitely would not worry about whether the extra 24 hours would affect the taste.  I doubt you could tell.  It will be fine!

Actually a diacetyl rest only needs to be done at about 5 degrees over your primary ferm temp. So if you fermented a lager at 50 and secondary at 40 do your rest at 55 or so for 48 hours. No need to go so high with it. Also if you let it sit long enough you shouldnt need to do the rest. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

I do a diacetyl rest for all my lagers.  When krausen starts to die down I raise temperature to about 60°F for two to three days.  Then, rack to secondary and lower to lagering temps like normal.

Mark

Hi,
  I did a great interview with Dr Charlie Bamforth last week posted on the BeerSmith blog at http://beersmith.com/blog on diacetyl.

He said in most cases the diacetyl rest can be relatively short - perhaps 24 hours.

Brad

Thanks for all the input. My computer has been down for a while and couldn't get back sooner. Since then I have bottled and am in the process of conditioning. 1 more week and then chill it down to drink and taste my reward.

Back