• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MobileBeerSmith

cousindave

Apprentice
Reaction score
Not sure if this in the correct place - but I'm wondering if there are any plans for a BeerSmith app? Something like iBrew but able to talk to the terrestrial program?

I will 2nd this.  I just recently bought and activated BS 2 on a Mac, however, as the memory gets fuzzy or befuddled at the brew store with all the conversations, etc .. I tend to forget some of the ingredients and/or equipment I am after .. most recently forgot the bags for the grains (extract brewing) so I need to improvise or make a special trip.  If on the phone, these problems go away with the inventory feature .. or worst case .. they are out of some key ingredient and you need to shift gears to a completely different brew ... well, I don't have my library with me, but with a mobile app, problem solved.

Would be nice to allow 1 mobile license with PC/Mac license, or have a generic version with some basic recipes etc that can call up and sync with your main computer.

This is a great idea. I know there are already some apps out there that attempt to import Beer XML docs, but it would be great if there was an "official" app. Shopping lists, recipes, a boil timer, and quick use calculators would all be awesome to have on a smart phone or tablet. You could have the app work only with Beersmith and charge a couple bucks for it. It would definitely be worth it.

I would also be very interested.  Sounds like I cannot download Beersmith onto an I-pad.  Anyone know if that's correct?  Portability and access through multiple devices would be great for me.  Thanks for any info. 

I would also be very interested.  Sounds like I cannot download Beersmith onto an I-pad.  Anyone know if that's correct?  Portability and access through multiple devices would be great for me.  Thanks for any info. 

I agree.  As a professional brewer who has used Beer Smith extensively I would love a Beer Smith app for my android cell phone and my tablet. 

Hope they come out with one soon 

Hi,
  I'm finishing up a recipe sharing site and cloud view (to allow sharing of a recipe folder across machines) first.  I expect to have that available in the next few months.  After that I plan to focus full time on developing mobile apps.  I wanted the cloud service available first to form a basis for the mobile platform.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  I'm finishing up a recipe sharing site and cloud view (to allow sharing of a recipe folder across machines) first.  I expect to have that available in the next few months.  After that I plan to focus full time on developing mobile apps.  I wanted the cloud service available first to form a basis for the mobile platform.

Brad

I like this idea! I don't know exactly how you plan on implementing it, but this sounds good. Especially if I can set "private" folders that only I can access and also have "public" folders where my friend and I could share recipes between us.

Thanks for the update on what you've got in the works.

Scott

I've started the beta test on this.  Let me know if interested in participating (via email if possible).

The cloud service (at the moment) has a single cloud folder where you can add recipes that are then stored online.  You can set them individually to be either shared or private - and the shared ones instantly show up in a big online database for anyone to search, download or comment upon.

Brad

Email me at beersmith at beersmith.com

Brad

I very much look forward to this as I brew outside it's not practical for me to have my computer from upstairs where I brew. Which platform will you be developing for first, I am sure you plan on doing both, but I really hope you develop for android first! Also will you be developing a version that will make it onto the Amazon app market, as I would be more then willing to purchase the app for small fee (say $2 to $5) if I could get it for my kindle fire!

Hi,
  At the moment I'm focusing on iPhone and Android first (developing cross platform so they will be identical) - in fact I was working on it today.  The iPad will be able to run the iPhone version but I'll be developing a custom app for that as well, though it may take a bit longer as the larger screen gives me room to add more features.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  At the moment I'm focusing on iPhone and Android first (developing cross platform so they will be identical) - in fact I was working on it today.  The iPad will be able to run the iPhone version but I'll be developing a custom app for that as well, though it may take a bit longer as the larger screen gives me room to add more features.

Brad
I can't wait! If you need another android beta tester let me know.

I too am looking forward to this! (Ipod Touch).  Are we looking at weeks, months, or much longer?  I can wait, but just curious as to how long might be a reasonable target?

I have tried various software programs and keep coming back to Beersmith 2 on my Mac, and so an ipod version will complement it very nicely for me.  And maybe on an iPad if/when I get me one!

Brian.

I'm working on the lite version and it is going well - I'm hoping to release it this fall.  The full version (which allows editing) will obviously take longer - but hopefully by winter.

Brad

Still going very well - have some cleanup work to do but the "lite" version should enter beta testing in a few weeks.  It has cloud access (to your BeerSmithRecipes.com account) for recipe sharing, local storage of recipes, a brewday timer, a number of standalone tools, unit converters and reference material including style guide and a brewing ingredient reference.

This lets you create a recipe in BeerSmith desktop, move it to your cloud folder and access it from your mobile device for viewing and running a brew day timer in the garage from your phone.  You could also move recipes from BeerSmithRecipes.com to your cloud folder and access them from your phone.

What is not done yet is the "full" version app which will allow in mobile recipe editing and creation - that app will require few more months of work.  Also I've not yet developed the iPad/tablet layouts which will be designed to take advantage of the larger screens available on iPad/Android tablet.  Both are planned.

However, the "lite" app will be in beta test shortly for both iPhone and Android.

Cheers,
Brad

I'm curious if the app will be available in the Amazon store? I have a Kindle Fire and love it, but since it doesn't have the Google store, I miss out on quite a few good apps.

Back