• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Size Calculation Problem

harbourn

Apprentice
Reaction score
According to the Tool-Tip Text for the Batch Size field it is "as measured into the fermenter" and in another location "Actual Volume in the Fermenter", which I take to mean how much liquid you put in the fermenter before it starts fermenting.

The issue is that the calculation of required water takes into account the Trub Loss value to produce the water levels needed to meet this size.

For example, I like to put 5.5 gallons into my fermenter, so I set batch size to 5.5. Beersmith v1 used to tell me a pre-boil volume of 6.87 (which is pretty accurate) and beersmith v2 tells me 7.89 gallons by default. The discrepancy is because it accounts for trub loss to early in the process. When I set the trub loss value to 0 beersmith v2 outputs a more correct pre-boil volume of 6.85.

Post a screenshot of your equipment profile.
Trub loss can't be removed too early since it is removed before "into the fermenter" and it wouldn't matter how much earlier it is removed. It has to be something else in your set up.

Do you actually lose over a gallon to trub?

I  am using the stock profile for "Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain" with no modifications.

Trub loss can't be removed too early since it is removed before "into the fermenter"

Why is this? Trub is formed during fermentation not before it. If Batch Size is defined as how much liquid you put into the fermenter then Trub Loss should not be accounted for in that value.

And no I only lose between .5 and .75 gallons to trub, but the default value beersmith provides is 1 gallon. It caught my attention because for the most part, with the same equipment profile, all the default values and water levels provided by v1 were spot on and when i switched to v2 they were way high. I've been able to tweak things down to produce the right levels but there is still an issue revolving around the definition of Batch Size which can make new user's scratch their heads.

Trub is formed in the boil. It consists of break material and hops.
Trub is also in the fermenter but that trub is covered under "fermenter loss".

You need to make a profile the reflects your own averages. I think if you do you'll find what you think is a problem doesn't exist.
If you were using default values in 1 and the estimations worked it was luck.

Batch size is the amount into the fermenter, hold your mouse over one of the batch volume boxes and it will say so. If someone wants to call it something else as far as BeerSmith is concerned they are wrong.

Trub is formed in the boil. It consists of break material and hops.
Trub is also in the fermenter but that trub is covered under "fermenter loss".

ok I think this explains the confusion, which was compounded by those really high default values.

thanks

Back