• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pliny the elder clone

russs18

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have this clone recipe http://beerdujour.com/recipes/1pliny%20the%20elder%20clone%20pdf.pdf. It shows the IBU as being 95. When I build it in Beersmith 2 it comes up much higher is there something I am doing wrong?

For one, you can't match theirs.  Theirs is measured and BS2 is a  calculation that gets less accurate the higher the IBU.  When you calculate, you need to use some mathematical model.  All of the models are guidelines.  In cases where I have seen calculations compared to those measured by gas chromatography showed the calculation is always higher than measured.

In this recipe, adjust the hop quantities to match the alpha acid units.  If you know your system and know that your beers are always more or less bitter than the recipe indicates, you will want to adjust for that too.

Back