• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing 10 gallons but fermenting as two 5 gallon batches

dbendinger

Apprentice
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out what would be the best way to set this up in BeerSmith?  Create two receipes that were identical and then change all the fermantion information based on 5 gallons? or am I missing something.  I will say I am new to the software but really like it.

Cheers,
Doug

I brew 11 gallon  batches and then ferment it to separate carboys, 5.5 in each. I can use different yeast or dry hopping ect....

I would track it as 2, 5 gallon batches if I was doing something different to each of  them. Otherwise as 1, 10 gallon batch.

I do the same thing - 10 (ish) gallon batches into two fermenters. Different yeast, different dry hops, etc. (sometimes I'll even run off one fermenter full, and keep boiling the rest for awhile - adding more hops or DME or some-such)

As for tracking I typically make one full-size recipe in BeerSmith and then if needed I'll copy it and rename it - sometimes using the scale recipe function to get the volume where it needs to be. (for example: SummerPale and SummerPale2.0)

When I do this, I use three recipes: 

The first is an All-Grain recipe I use to create the 10 gallons of extract.  Then I create two (or more, as needed) extract recipes for each of the smaller batches. 

Back