• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

FWH

J

Joshua Mesick

I saw the earlier post that stated you should use a full boil time when FWHing.  Is this the correct method since you would normally replace your 20 minute addition with a FWH?  

Josh,
 For first wort hops, the hops is normally added during the sparge and kept in the kettle for the boil.  I've personally had great results using this method as it results in a smooth, balanced but hoppy flavor.

Cheers!
Brad

I fully understand what FWH is and how it contributes to beer.  What I am trying to decipher is how to account for it when using beersmith.  For instance- if using the tastybrew.com recipe calculator, they consider the IBU units as though it was a 20 minute addition.  Seeing as Beersmith requires you to input your own time on the boil, do you use the full boil time or 20 minutes?

Josh,
 Check the FWH flag on the hops and use the full boil time.

Brad

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the speedy response.  I will definitely go with the full boil time.  Just wanted to say that the software looks great.  I am just trying to get a grasp for everything you can do with it.

Josh

Back