• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Move the sugar out of the grain section

aubiecat

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I know it is a terminable but it makes no sense to me for sugar to be in the same section.

The reason sugar is under grain is because the 'Grain' section has only ingredients that alter gravity (provide sugars/carbohydrates)

I understand why sugars are under "grains" but I agree with aubie in some sense at least. I would at least like the sugars to be more dynamic. For example, I'm working on a recipe using maple syrup and I want to add it to the secondary. In that sense, I wish it had more options like the misc ingredients. I checked the "add after boil" box to at least get it separated from the grains to mash, and it clumped it with the yeast?

Likewise, I just did a recipe with corn sugar in it, which I added at the end of the boil.  I doubt it effected my hops bittering calculations much, if at all, but it would have been nice for accuracy's sake and to still see the boost to gravity, but somehow do the rest of the calculations based on not having the sugar in there until the end of the boil.  That said, I hit all my numbers from pre- and post- boil gravity exactly as BeerSmith said I would.

Back