• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dme only...

tws

Apprentice
Reaction score
Greetings once more and thank you all for your valuable and instructive input to a new brewer.

in an effort to save myself from going completely broke i've decided to go the dme route and have therefore ordered 50lbs of Briess Light Dry Malt Extract. with this as my primary extract i need (as i understand it) only specialty grains, hops - perhaps irish moss tablets - and of course a good yeast. lately i've been using only wyeast.

to give you an idea of my prior cost i was paying $4.80 per lb. for dme from my local homebrew store... my 50lb bulk dme purchase cost me $2.90 per lb.

i am also considering bulk ordering my hops but need to do more research especially if i can keep one pound quantities of hops fresh in my kegerator. the problem is the numerous varieties. it is not hard to get far afield with just a few beers. so i need to understand what are the most commonly used hops and purchase those in bulk.

getting good prices on specialty grains is beyond my grasp at this time. ultimately i'll need to find a good online supplier.

lastly i would like to ask for recipes or directions to recipes that use only dme as a base. I enjoy all styles of beer but find 6% abv IPA's and ales to be my favorite.

tws

Popular hop varieties include Cascade, Fuggle, and Kent Golding. You can't go wrong with one of those three, though they are all distinctly different.

If you're talking american IPA or ale you need to find some citra cascades simcoe centennial or nuggets. A lot of craft brewers are going with these in beers that you may have had. Citra and cascades together will give you that citrussy taste that goes well with any american type ale.

Back