• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

sweet stout oops

slyder79

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,
So I brewed a MoreBeer Sweet Stout kit 4 weeks ago now. Everything went well until I decided to bottle after my regular schedule of fermentation. 4 or so days in a primary and another 10 - 14 days in a secondary then bottle. I now see why Im supposed to take SG readings a few days in a row before bottling. Last year i brewed a German Alt that i bottled a little too soon and am still drinking the best beer I've brewed to date in a glass 2 times the volume to allow for the extra head. So, as I'm transferring the sweet stout to the bottling bucket i take a gravity reading and its about 10 points or so too high. At this point i have already added my cooled priming sugar to the batch in the bottom of the bucket. i then proceed to finish transferring to the bucket and then right back into the carboy it all goes. Im just wondering if there's any way to guess what my new FG is going to be. I certainly will be taking a gravity reading for 3 or more days until I bottle this one. Sure wish i had a keg!
OG was 1.051- Checked gravity at supposed bottle time at 1.021 added 3.9 oz corn sugar and back into the carboy, been there 2 weeks now. FG is supposed to be 1.010. Will check gravity later today, but seems to still be producing bubbles every now and again.

Forgot to mention this was poured onto a yeast cake of London Ale III (wyeast 1318) WOW! What a ferment!

Actually 1.020 doesn't sound off for a sweet stout, especially not an extract recipe. 1.010 would be too low and out of style.

MoreBeer doesn't give their recipes or any specifics on their website so that does no good figuring out what your FG should be.

Just got my SG reading. Still sitting at 1.021 after 2 weeks of sitting with corn sugar in it. If I swirl the carboy i still get a significant amount of bubbles from the airlock. Guessing I should keep checking gravity for the next 3 days and if no change ill add the same amount of bottling sugar again and cap it up.

If you give the recipe I could tell you what is in reason for a FG.

Ingredients

1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
6 lbs Light Malt Extract  (26.9 SRM)
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 33.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) [124.21 ml]

Used Beersmith to help with the recipe even though one came with the kit from MoreBeer. I like the way it organised the brew steps. 

Assuming 5 gallons I come up with 1.0225 of unfermentable sugars figuring 80% fermentable for the extract which is what Briess gives for theirs.

Back