• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gravity/Volume estimates on brewsheet

ChuckJaxFL

Apprentice
Reaction score
On the brewing step sheets, I don't understand how the numbers can make sense.

For one of my recipes for instance, it predicts 8.12 gal of 1.049 wort preboil (397.88 points) and 6.24 gal of 1.066 wort postboil (411.84 points).

Another recipe predicts 8.25 gal of 1.039 wort preboil (321.75 points) and 6.5 gal of 1.050 wort postboil  (325.00).

How is it creating more points during the boil?

evaporation dude. In whiskey makin they call it the angels share. when you lost the volume during boil water is what left leaving more solids per gallon. thus the higher SG

Of course there will be a higher SG after the boil when the same amount of sugar is suspended in less water.
That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about total points of sugar present, not the SG of the solution. 

Hi,
  You may need to factor in cooling losses and depending on where you are pulling the numbers from the trub/chiller loss.  If you like you could send me a recipe and I can take a look at it.  Email would be best.

Brad

Back