• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Thoughts on Imperial Chocolate Stout Recipe

dnolan36

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Since I have tried Southern Tier's Mokah and Choklat I have wanted to try my hand at making a imperial stout with a strong chocolate flavor. Now I have never brewed with chocolate or tried to make anything with a strong chocolate flavor before so I figured I would ask the pros on BA for their opinion. Also was planning on using some lactose. I have never used it before and do not know what a good amount is.

Here is the base recipe I am planning on using. I am using the DME since I am new to all-grain and the last RIS I did my efficiency was lower than planned I think due to the amount of grain in my mash tun.

Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 70%

14 lb - Pale 2-Row (63.64%)
0.5 lb - CaraMunich (2.27%)
1 lb - Special B (4.55%)
1.5 lb - Roasted Barley (6.82%)
0.5 lb - Chocolate (2.27%)
0.5 lb - Brown (2.27%)
1 lb - Milk Sugar (4.55%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (13.64%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Chinook (AA 13) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
10 oz - Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, Time: 1 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
2 each - Vanilla Beans, Time: 1 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

Mash at 154
Mash out 168
Batch Sparge 168-170

Check out the latest video (episode #55) of Brewing TV. Its' about a couple of stouts, but Chip (the cameraman) mentions that he got a good but not "overpowering" chocolate flavor to a stout he recently brewed, using only 5-6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate for 60 minutes in his boil.

Heres a link I found quite helpful when I made my mocha porter....

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/Indices/38-Ingredients/316-brewing-with-chocolate

Back