• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Best grains for a 'grainy' taste?

jcmca

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I want to brew a pale ale that has a noticeable 'grainy' flavor - which malts will give the best results? I don't want roasty, nutty, toasty - just grainy. Will be extract and grain brew. The closest I can come to explaining what I want is I once had Fat Tire on tap, and somewhere in the background was a neat grainy flavor - I want that, but more pronounced.

Many thanks!

I don't know Flat Tire but everything I've seen on it describes its grainy as biscuity.
Flaked barely is supposed to give what is described as a plain old grainy taste. Guinness uses a lot. It also gives a creamy head.

If you have a LHBS with bulk grain go in and taste some. It will give you an idea of how it will taste in a beer. You may have to go to a partial to get what you desire since you want it more pronounced. You can get away with steeping small amounts of grain that needs mashed for a hint of flavor but if you go over small amounts to make them pronounced you'll start running into starch problems.

You should look at a Belgian base malt and add some Munich or Vienna or Biscuit malt.  An English base malt like Marris Otter would also give some of that character.

For a 'grainy' taste, not a 'malty' one, I would go with an American 2-row malt (not pale malt) and limit other specialty grains, especially caramel/crystal malts. Perhaps a slightly higher mash temp (154-156) would prevent the beer from drying too much and leave some of that grain flavor. A little bit of wheat and/or pilsen malt in the grist can also help to enhance this character.

Back