• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun deadspace

rpetterson

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive done a search on this on the forum but I'm still confused.

I do 2 step batch sparging and have a mash tun that has a false bottom - the measured dead space is 1.5 Gallons.
Ive worked out that I need to add the specified amount of mash water that BS states + 1.5 gals in order for the grain to be fully covered with water. The water that is under the grain bed i.e. under the false bottom (filter) still gets all drained out into the boiler, so there's no actual loss.
Now, since I've had to add an additional 1.5 gals of mash water, I presume I now have to reduce the 2 vols of strike / sparge water by 1.5 gals.
How do I configure this in BS?
I can see that by adding the deadspace vol in the equip profile under 'Lauter Tun deadspace' and checking 'Adjust mash vol for deadspace'  - that this adds the 1.5 gals to the mash water on the 'mash details' tab, but it doesn't recalculate (reduce) the sparge vols by 1.5 gals....

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Rob

I don't know if the dead space is used to calculate the mash water/grist ratio in addition to the sparge, mash turn, and boil kettle water volumes. Essentially you use all the volume, so just plug in numbers with and without the DS volume, to see if the water/grist ratio changes. For 12 gallon all grain batches, I always mash with 9 gal. strike for under 30 lbs. of grain and 10 gal. for over 30 lb (35 lb capacity). I just fly sparge to get my boil volume . My preboil gravity is usually within a couple points + or - of what I am aiming for. Close enough.

Back