• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adjusting hop extraction rate

ninrugger

Apprentice
Reaction score
is there a way to adjust the percent of hop extraction?  what is it currently set at? 

If you are talking about hop utilization, it is based on the amount of time boiled and the gravity of the wort.  You can change your settings to use Tinseth, Rager or Gaetz.  They all calculate an estimated utilization of the available alpha acids.

You adjust the utilization by changing the boil time.

basically what i'm looking for is trying to find a way to calculate IBU's gained in whirlpool hopping. 

Depending on your whirlpool technique and temperature, you would expect about 15% isomerization. 

I use hop sacks and usually remove them at the end of the boil.

Some batches I will delay the 60 minute hop addition 10 or 15 minutes if I know I will be leaving them in during my 15 minute whirlpool.

so you're just treating the whirlpool as part of the boil for the most part. 

Yes but with less isomerization since the temperature is lower.  I heard or read comments from Matt Brynildson of Firestone Walker (probably on the brewing network) on how he treats he whirlpool.  I was he who said 15% which stuck in my head.  I have heard Jamil Zainasheff discuss this as well.

Back