• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment > Boil Volume - editable and yet not editable - BS v2.0.58 OS X

caffecaldo

Apprentice
Reaction score
So as I mentioned in another post, I'm pretty new to BS2. Not new to software support, so I'll gladly provide as much info as I can in order to help repro the issue I'm seeing.

One of the things BS2 urges one to do is to create an equipment profile, if one of the preexisting ones doesn't fit what you have. So I copied an existing one and edited the contents.

I stumbled when I hit the Boil Volume field. It's automatically filled out with a value, and it appears to be editable. However, I can't edit it. I subsequently watched one of the tutorial videos, and it seems in that video that (at least in the Windows version) the Boil Volume field background is tinted, not white, suggesting that it should _not_ be editable. Which, on reflection, seems to make sense.

Until I saw the video, I was scratching my head wondering why this ostensibly editable field seemed impervious to my attempts to edit it. No informative mouse-hover balloon, no color changes or warnings, nothing.

I'm attaching a screenshot to help illustrate what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-18 at 10.50.13 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-02-18 at 10.50.13 PM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 393
Hi,
  The issue is that you have the "calculate boil volume" checked (which is recommended).  This forces the program to calculate the boil volume working backwards from your batch volume - basically by taking your target batch volume into fermenter and then adding the trub loss, subtracting top-up water, adding cooling loss and boil off to get the required boil volume.

So if you have "calculate boil volume" checked and have your batch volume and losses set correctly it will estimate the boil volume needed to overcome those losses and get the pre-boil volume.  This is the recommended way to use it.

If you uncheck "calculate boil volume" you can then edit the boil volume, but you run the risk of not having the correct losses and batch volume entered in which case your batch volume could be off significantly.

Brad

Back