• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CDA/BIPA

happy hillbilly

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Welllll I like black beers and I like IPA's so These new CDA or black IPA what have ya sounded good to me . Well I started brewin them up and after awhile I got them down. I got a script for a wall hanger. I did it a few ways and found out how I liked it without ever having a store bought one.(I cant hardly even find it in a store around me). So the other day I was out shoppin for beer stuff and went in the beer cave for some yeast and seen a southern tier imperial iniquity black ale. I drank her down and told my bride that it was just like my cda but needed a little more hop flavor. I saved the bottle so i could look up the recipe and lo and behold on the side of the bottle there was the ingredients. And guess what. The hops and malt are almost exactly the same as my recipe! I knew I tasted it somewhere. Anyways iffin you need this let me know cause it's really good if ya like a good IPA.

Hi Happy Hillbilly,
I came across your post and am interested if you would like to share your recipe. I am looking for a combination of black beer/IPA and hops.
Regards,
Slurk

Ditto on the recipe request Happy Hillbilly!  I make a pretty good robust porter, but I've thought about serving it through a Hop Randell for a extra kick of fresh hops.

O K Here it goes.
2.6 oz. chocolate malt
4oz. black patent malt
1lb. debittered malt or carafa111
2lb crystall malt 10L  ( I do use 40L too)
2 lb. sugar optional if you choose not to add sugar just add 2lbs. of DME
12 lb. Xlite DME (dried malt extract)
2.5oz. magnum pellet hops 10 aa 60 minutes
1oz. magnum pellets 10aa 30 minutes
1oz. magnum pellets 10min.
1oz. citra pellets 14aa 10 min.
1oz. citra and 1oz. cascades 5.4aa flame out
1.5oz citra and .5 oz cascades dry hop
yeast energiser
irish moss
U.S.-05 yeast

Steep grains for 30 minutes at 160 add to kettle then top to 4 gallons. Boil with 4lbs. of DME for 60 minutes adding hops and others as stated. After 60 minutes add the rest of the DME and sugar. Cool down yer wort and pitch yeast. I like to primary for 7 days then rack to secondary for 14 with the dry hops. Once I did a mini mash with two pounds 2-row in place of the sugar and cut the first hops down to 2oz. and I like it better. I toasted the two row for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Have fun and HAPPY brewin.

Happy Hillbilly, Thank You!  Other than the 4 gallon top off for boil I do not see water volume, is this for a 5 gallon batch?  I like the idea of roasting the malt.  I made a Kamut Wheat beer with Kamut wheat I had malted/ roasted, it was pretty intense!

Thank You for the volume update!  This looks very interesting.  I recently picked up a couple of 15 gallon HDPE drums for fermenters, this looks like a easy to brew beer!  What temperature do you ferment at?  What do you use for bottling carbonation?

i like to ferment at 68ish the cool temp really makes the beer gooood. My preference is bottled beer so I use corn sugar and I gotta way to figure it that is a little different from the usual 3/4 cup per 5 gallons but still works out the same. I use two big heapin tablespoons per gallon (eatin tablespoons not measurin) and ifin you take two of those per 5 gallons it comes ut about the same as 3/4 cup. The reason I use this is because I brew different size batches all the time so I don't have to do any math. Like right now I have a 15 gallon batch of APA goin. good luck with the CDA I really liked it and will be doin a batch as soon as I can git some Citra hops they are hard to find for a reasonable price.HAPPY Brewin

Back