Author Topic: converting question  (Read 4357 times)


  • Guest
converting question
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »
i was checking out some recipe's at cat's meow and i read in one of the recipe's about enzyme suppliment for converting starches into sugars.does anyone no what this suppliment might be called and how it works.thanks for any help.


  • Guest
Re: converting question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 06:19:59 AM »
It's amylase enzyme. Some HBSs carry it. I emailed the distributor (LD Carlson) about it a few months ago and got some info. Yes, it's intended to be a conversion aid, not a clarifier, although it might work as one (starch haze). According to LDC, it performs best at 147-153F and is denatured at 168F. Thus, it is beta-amylase. I experimented with a mere 1/2 teaspoon in the mash (for a 5gal batch) and got a whopping 87% mash efficiency. I recommend you definitely perform a mashout when using the product, else you may get a highly-fermentable but thin and flavorless wort.
IMO, it's unnecessary except maybe for very high gravity, high alcohol beers.