• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

converting question

H

hunter

i was checking out some recipe's at cat's meow and i read in one of the recipe's about enzyme suppliment for converting starches into sugars.does anyone no what this suppliment might be called and how it works.thanks for any help.

It's amylase enzyme. Some HBSs carry it. I emailed the distributor (LD Carlson) about it a few months ago and got some info. Yes, it's intended to be a conversion aid, not a clarifier, although it might work as one (starch haze). According to LDC, it performs best at 147-153F and is denatured at 168F. Thus, it is beta-amylase. I experimented with a mere 1/2 teaspoon in the mash (for a 5gal batch) and got a whopping 87% mash efficiency. I recommend you definitely perform a mashout when using the product, else you may get a highly-fermentable but thin and flavorless wort.
IMO, it's unnecessary except maybe for very high gravity, high alcohol beers.

Back