• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

All grain brewing...foam?

sma

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've brewed about 10 batches of all grain so I'm not a nube.  The last two batches I've noticed the wort really foams up alot just as the wort starts to boil.    Not sure what the cause is and this has only happened over the last three batches (same grain bill).    I do the same 25 minute protein rest (using Briess 2-Row Barley) that I've done all along.  This happens before I pitch my hops.  Not a big deal and I just watch the gas so I don't boil over.

My question is could this/should this foam be skimmed off?

Similarly, when I pour from my boil pot to my fermentation bucket I end up with lots of foam (this has always happened). Should this be skimmed off?

My beers are perfect (IMHO) so I'm fine with keep doing with what I'm doing, but I'm always up for learning more.  Any suggestions are welcome.

1) You don't need a protein rest for well modified malts like you listed. You stand to do more harm than good because it doesn't discriminate on which proteins it goes after. If you're doing it to throw in a decoction that's fine, just watch the time. Try it as a single infusion, I doubt if you notice a positive difference for the protein rest so you could shave off considerable time from your brew day.

2) What you are seeing with the foam is the hot break. I'm amazed you haven't seen the same thing brewing extract and the previous AG batches. I always do. I'd be more worried about why you're not seeing it.

3) Some people skim and fling it. I figure it's in my wort, it must be there for a reason.
I don't know what it is but I don't suffer from keeping it and the flingers I know say they don't suffer from flinging it.

4) As far as I know that foam in the bucket is the same as your head. Allegedly once the protein forms head it won't make it again so it shouldn't hurt to remove it but it doesn't hurt to be there.
At that point in the game I would worry about the chance of infection trying to skim it.

@Myk... I would see foam in all my brewing but for the past couple I see a lot.  My boil volume is 7 gallons and my pot is 11 gallons.  If I don't watch the heat the foam will easily boil over.  The foam happens about 2 or 3 minutes after the boil starts.  Within 5 minutes it simmers back down and you then can crank the heat up without worry.

I've contemplated skipping the protein rest.  I read on one site that 2-row Breiss needed a protein rest... my next batch I'll skip the PR and see what happens.

thanks for the advice.

Back