• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stainless steel milk can for a fermenter

petesgalaxy

Apprentice
Reaction score
can you use a stainless steel milk can for a fermenter. i was looking at the lehman's 10gal Solid stainless steel Best Value Milk Can, but didn't know if the lid would fit tight enough. of course i would have to drill a hole for the airlock, but thats no big deal.
My main concern is that the lid fits tight enough.

I used to ferment in  bucket with a towel over it FOR YEARS and never had a problem. All you need to be careful of is that there is that the "barrier" of co2 (heavier than air) produced by the fermentation cannot be disturbed by outside forces tat can contain wild yeasts (ie: breezes; wind, incessant checking of the bucket!!) .... so while a nice tight fitting lid is great for being able to contain the gasses produced, and therefore visualize the airlock activity, it is not absolutely necessary!

Having said that ... I;'d have no problem fermenting in a milk jug that was cleaned/sanitized!

Have fun!

Back