• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

frozen lager

piper55

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Just froze my lager solid in a glass carboy, this should be a fun mess lol.I touched the airlock and it shot to the ceiling.

Eisbock!!
  I kegged a lager last spring that got partially frozen in the keg.  I had let it lager for a few weeks before tapping.  When we tapped it we could not believe how good it was and how  STRONG!  As it turned out over half had frozen, a short lived keg but awesome beer!!

LOL  That it did!  I have a gallon water jug in the refrigerater beside that keg with after sparge running's from a porter.  That IS frozen!  My refrigerator in it's current configuration has 3 CO2 lines with the CO@ bottle inside, so I can only have 3 tapped at a time.  I'm putting together 4 Perlic regulators that are attached to the outside, once I pick up a few more parts the refrigerator will have 4 outside taps, each with its own regulator and a 5th line in for carbonating.
  That Raspberry Lager will be good after a day of working in the yard!

My kegerator has one tap on it but it will fit 4 also someday. I made the raspberry for the wife but I been drinking it like crazy, shes gonna be pissed. I have to brew some pale ale so I lay off it.

LOL,  I'm fairly new to the IPA's and hoppy beers but it did not take long for the bug to bite!  I made a "strong" IPA that I bottled about two weeks ago, it turned out really nice(IMHO).  I'm kinda trying to hold on to it as long as I can.  The Double Imperial IPA should be ready to bottle by the weekend.  That has 8 oz's of hops in it. :)  I was reading a post about doing all hop additions to a brew in the final 30 minutes.  Supposed to be smoother bittering, more intense hop flavor.  I have another robust porter measured & ground ready to brew, so I think after that I'll do my IPA with all late hop additions.

ipas are my thing to but I like em big and with summer coming I switch to pale ale and Im gonna try a smoked wheat. Im gonna fire up the brewery this weekend then Ill brew 4 or 5 batches then take a few months off . Im new to lagers so I think Ill make an octoberfest.

Back