• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with Lager recipies

Beer_Tigger

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm looking at making a Lager, but a lot of the sample recipies for Extract Lagers, including those with "Lager" yeasts are saying 68deg. for fermentation.  IS it just that ppl forgot to edit the temp or can you make a lager at 68deg.?

While there are lagers brewed as an ale (California Common aka Steam Beer for one) A true lager is fermented at 50-55F for 1-2 weeks then boosted to 68F for 24+ hrs, then dropped 2-4F per day till 34F where you hold it for weeks.

Fred

OK, so more specifics of my questions:

1. Can the lager yeasts work at the 68deg temps?
2. Will it taste like a lager?
3. Is it worth trying to set up an old chest freezer to do the temps for Lagerring?

OK, so more specifics of my questions:

1. Can the lager yeasts work at the 68deg temps?
2. Will it taste like a lager?
3. Is it worth trying to set up an old chest freezer to do the temps for Lagerring?

1. California Lager yeast is the only "Lager" yeast that is rated at 68F (Highest recommended temp) The low 60's would be considered better. This is considered a lager fermented at ale temperatures This yeast (WYEAST 2112) "retains lager characteristics up to 64F"
Lager yeast will work, that is ferment, at ale temperatures, but

2. then you are losing the crisp clean lager characteristics that you are looking for.

3. Temp control of the fermentation, even for ales, is an important factor in controlling the outcome of your brews.  So yes,  a fridge or freezer with an external temp controller is important.  It is absolutely critical for serious lagering

Fred

Thanks for the answers, now I have to find the time (or ambition) to take it to the next level.

Back