• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop app for any smartphone

bellytank65

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok, this app would be for hops.  This has happened to me a couple times.  I go into my LHBS and they don’t have the hops that I wanted. What do I substitute with and how much? Did I just drive 1.5 hours for nothing?  This would be a simple app that all you do is enter the name of hop you wanted, the % alpha acids, and the IBU you’re wanting your brew to be.  Touch the "sub" button and presto, your new hop.  Then all you have to do is enter what the AA is for that hop and touch the "amount" button and now you have in ounces the amount you need.  Simple right? Maybe there is one already out there.

i am not trying to be a jerk here but.. why would you drive 1.5 hours and use 40 bucks in gas to drive to a LHBS that dont have exsperts to help you with your substition? i mean, if you are all on your own. you could just buy then on line from hopsdirect or some place like it.
that and there are like 1000 hop substitution charts , so why reinvent the wheel. that smart phone has internet so just add the hop substitution chart of you choice to your bookmarks BYO does one every year. http://www.byo.com/resources/hops

I seems to be lucky to have a great staff on MoreBeer in Los Altos.  They all know the substitutions, have charts posted at the host and have magazines around to help too.

When I go there to get my ingredients, I always have two substitution option for each hop varietal just in case they don't have it.

I could see having an app would be nice too even though I would probably not use it. 

Back