• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

trouble with yeast calculations

brewdiver

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi ,

I'm new to beersmith and am having a problem with the yeast calculations

When I make a recipe everything looks to be good except when I add yeast then I go to the starter section and it tells me I need 91 pkgs of yeast without a starter 31 pkgs with starter.

What the heck could I be missing? this is for 10 gal batch

The manufacture date? If it's defaulted to a date so old the yeast would be dead it will put out numbers like that.

The yeast tab says package date 2-27-2011

last cultured date says 6-14-2003

Could one of these be it ?

Ok,

I changed the package date to 1-23-12 and it is much closer but it still says I need 7 packages with no starter and 3 pks with starter.

This is for 10 gal and still doesnt seem right ?

Remember, this is industry standard pitching rates not bare minimums.
Without knowing your gravity or anything it sounds right to me. It's just the way yeast grows. I'm actually amazed 3 packs in a starter without a stir plate is enough with yeast from January.

If you want to be pitching to 10 gallons of medium to high gravity and using proper pitching rates you should get a stir plate and probably a 5L flask. The growth rate differences will make it worth it.

For years I've been pitching 2 smack packs into 10 gallons for ales.  I guess this is the (minimum rate) you were talking about.

anyway I guess I will up that if these calculations seem correct

The SG. is 1.059 and the yeast is chico

I guess I will be buying a stir plate and beaker then,  thanks for the info

www.yeastcalc.com

or

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I like yeast calc because it calculates the growth for each step.  I culture my own yeasts at home, and therefore grow up from much smaller samples into my full starter. 

Stirplates can be made very easily with an old computer fan, a magnet, and a small plastic/wooden box.  I made two for about $12 total.  If you have old computer parts laying around, google "Homemade stirplate". 

Back