• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Priming with Maple Syrup

rauchs

Apprentice
Reaction score
When priming with maple syrup, should I boil the maple syrup with 2 cups of water, or should I just add the maple syrup to the bottling bucket?

I would boil it but I never did it. I dont think the syrup would be affected by boiling like fruit would tastewise and you wouldnt get much flavor from that little bit of syrup anyway I would think

I've actually had maple syrup go moldy on me before. So if the syrup is coming from a jug that's been open for a while, it wouldn't hurt to sterilize it.

That said, it seems to me like a waste of money since I seriously doubt that that little amount will have any noticeable affect on the flavor.

I have a friend of a friend who taps maples for sap to boil for their own syrup. I'm thinking of seeing if I could acquire some sap, enough for mash and sparge, and use that instead of water in a batch.
I read in a Papazian book that it adds a subtle "woody" flavor.

You should at least pasteurize it though it is probably not necessary.  Better safe than sorry.  So, boiling is OK.  10 minutes should do.

As for using it to prime, there is little or no benefit depending on how much you use and how high quality it is.  Generally speaking high quality maple syrup is about 65% fermentable sugar versus 100% for table or corn sugar.  35% of the remaining compounds might stay in the beer or are not soluble and drop out.  I do not where the maple flavor comes in but if it is bound up in the sugars, it will all be converted by the yeast.  If it is in the leftover 35%, that is very few parts per million to make a perceptible flavor especially considering the flavor already in the beer.  I do not know how much is needed to taste it.

I find this kind of stuff interesting and am reaching out to some experts in the maple syrup world to hopefully advise me on using it in beer.

Thanks to everybody for replying.  A friend had asked me to brew a clone of the Saranac Maple Porter (which was a limited seasonal).  I've read that adding maple syrup to the boil or to the primary right after it slows won't give you a "maple" flavor, more of a woodsy taste because it would ferment out.  I was hoping that using it as a priming agent, would leave a little taste of maple.  I'm using Grade B Maple Syrup.

My quote was in reference to adding a noticeable maple flavor, not for priming. The point being that the amount used for priming will not add any discernible flavor.

I ended up priming the batch (5 gallons) with 6.16oz of Grade B maple syrup.  Carbonated nicely.  I can taste the maple (without the sweetness).  Woodsy would be a proper description of the flavor.

I respect Charlie Papazian, and I'm no expert, but I've been finding that some of the info he gives in the complete joy of homebrewing and the homebrewer's companion seem to be complete crap.

I chatted with a Maple Researcher who advised that Grade B is the best choice and go for the darkest color which has the most flavor.  These maple flavor contributors will stay in solution pretty well and not likely settle out.

He confirmed that you would want to increase the amount at least 40% over the comparable amount of corn sugar for priming.

Adding Maple during fermentation has proven be of little value.  The nearly all the maple flavors will ferment out.

/Joe

We used to make our own "maple" syrup useing sugar, boiling water and Mapleine Maple syrup flavoring.  A few drops for a pint of syrup.  I know they still make it as I have seen it in a local country store.  I bet if you added a half pound of lactose sugar and a ounce of maple flavoring it would really give some flavor.  I would still use the maple syrup to prime for that extra kick of flavor.

I bet if you added a half pound of lactose sugar and a ounce of maple flavoring it would really give some flavor.

Don't forget to be courteous and warn anyone you share it with that it contains milk sugar.

It wreaks terrible digestive havoc on some of us.

;-)

I do!  I have lactose in my Kitchen Sink Coffee Stout as well, I made note of the Lactose on the label as well.

Back