• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When I change boil time from 60min to 120min weird

gregarpp

Apprentice
Reaction score
I chnaged my boil time from 60min to 120min.

I would expect the amount of water to increase...

Instead the water amount stayed the same.
But my hop bitterness went up.
These were still set to 60min boil times.

How do I fix this?

I want to do an extended boil on my RIS

Peter,
 I'm not sure exactly where the problem is - when I go to an open recipe and change the boil time, it does correctly carry over to the equipment settings (i.e. Equipment Details button) and show both an increased boil time and an increased loss to the boil.  

This will result in a slight increase in the boil off which usually translates to more sparge water required in the mash to offset this.  The increase in sparge water does show up on the brewsheet instructions.

Cheers!
Brad

Why do the IBU's increase?

if I were to do a 120min boil, I would wait 60min before I add my bittering hops.

Peter,
 The IBU's change slightly with the boil time because the boil volume is used in the IBU calculation.  A lower specific gravity when boiling results in more bitterness, while a higher boil gravity will result in less bitterness extracted.

Cheers!
Brad

Why do the IBU's increase?

if I were to do a 120min boil, I would wait 60min before I add my bittering hops.
The short answer is yes.

If you do a 120 minute boil (and I frequently do) you want to boil the hops for the period of time that will extract the amount of bitterness that you want to provide from that addition.  So yes, you would wait to add your hops.  You might choose to boil them a little longer or a little less, that is part of your control over the beer.

Fred

Back