• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Utilization recipe vs Hop Bitterness Calculator

MikeH

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.  I use Tinseth for my IBU calculator, but I will often check what the comparable IBU's are with the Rager formula if I am converting a recipe.  As tinseth is calculated for whole cones there is a 10% utilization appiled when using pellets.  Now I have this selected under my options and I can see the 10% difference when I use the Hop Bitterness calculator, but that 10% difference is not reflected in my actual recipe.

To make it plain the recipe page always calculates hop bitterness as 10% less than the calculator which is the correct number.  As the calculator value and the recipe value should be the same does anyone have any ideas about this?  I have only noticed it with Tinseth but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike,
  Did you apply the same hop type (pellet or whole) to both?  You can choose the hop type in both systems.

Brad

Brad,
  I did apply pellet hops to both as that is all I use. It is a 1.067 beer for a 6 gallon batch with 7.75g at the beginning of the 60 minute boil.  I am using 28 grams each of Horizon at 60, Centennial at 10, Simcoe at 5 and Amarillo at 1 minute.  I am using the default AA assigned to these hops.  As I mentioned in my earlier post this is using Tinseth.  Thanks for replying, I am sure this is probably just a snafu on my part.

All the best!

Back