Author Topic: Hop Utilization recipe vs Hop Bitterness Calculator  (Read 3449 times)

Offline MikeH

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Hop Utilization recipe vs Hop Bitterness Calculator
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Hello Folks,
  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.  I use Tinseth for my IBU calculator, but I will often check what the comparable IBU's are with the Rager formula if I am converting a recipe.  As tinseth is calculated for whole cones there is a 10% utilization appiled when using pellets.  Now I have this selected under my options and I can see the 10% difference when I use the Hop Bitterness calculator, but that 10% difference is not reflected in my actual recipe.

To make it plain the recipe page always calculates hop bitterness as 10% less than the calculator which is the correct number.  As the calculator value and the recipe value should be the same does anyone have any ideas about this?  I have only noticed it with Tinseth but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Hop Utilization recipe vs Hop Bitterness Calculator
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
Mike,
  Did you apply the same hop type (pellet or whole) to both?  You can choose the hop type in both systems.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline MikeH

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Hop Utilization recipe vs Hop Bitterness Calculator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
Brad,
  I did apply pellet hops to both as that is all I use. It is a 1.067 beer for a 6 gallon batch with 7.75g at the beginning of the 60 minute boil.  I am using 28 grams each of Horizon at 60, Centennial at 10, Simcoe at 5 and Amarillo at 1 minute.  I am using the default AA assigned to these hops.  As I mentioned in my earlier post this is using Tinseth.  Thanks for replying, I am sure this is probably just a snafu on my part.

All the best!