• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

isinglass

H

hunter

i just got a bottle of isinglass for clearing my beer.i really don't care if my beer is a bit cloudy as long as it taste good but i thought i would give it a try anyway,but i don't know when to put it in my beer,primary ,secondary, bottling i don't know,can someone help me out,i would be quite thankfull thank you.  

I add it in secondary a week before I plan to bottle or keg. I have given up on isinglass and switched to polyclar and I find the results to be faster and more noticable.

Yep! secondary.

I used to use that too, but now I use whirlfloc.

thanks for clearing that up for me  ;D,the place i get my brew stuff from had isinglass or geletin wasn't sure which was better but the isinglass is quite cheap so i grabbed that.but you know what they say you get what you pay for.i'm gonna try to make another cream ale and i might put a vanilla bean in it so i was thinking the bean might make my beer cloudy,so i'll try the isinglass just in case.

i made a vanilla wheat and the vanilla did not make it cloudy at all... the wheat did but not the vanilla... there were little black seeds in the carboy (bean was added into the secondary), but most settle to the bottom by the end... :D

i highly recomend it btw... it tastes great... especially when used in conjunction with wyeast # 3068!!!

yummmy!!!

did you use a whole bean or half bean,i don't wan't too much vanilla taste.i usually make 20 litre batches.

i used 1 whole madagascar vanilla bean split in half then rolled under a rolling pin...

to be honest... i would have put two in if i did it over (and i will!!!)

although it was damn good beer, it did not have enough vanilla flavor for me...  i wasnt looking for vanilla ice cream or anything, but it was not that distinguishable. to put it plainly, if i didnt tell you it was vanilla beer you would not be able to determine that it was... know what i mean??

maybe with less hops or yeast that produces less flavor (i used a yeast that produces quite a bit of flavor... banannas and cloves... mmmmm) it would have been enough.  too many variables to count for  :p

anyways thats my opinion... one more bean...

it was in a 5 gal batch... (20 liters right??)

thanks for clearing that up for me  ;D,the place i get my brew stuff from had isinglass or geletin wasn't sure which was better but the isinglass is quite cheap so i grabbed that.but you know what they say you get what you pay for.i'm gonna try to make another cream ale and i might put a vanilla bean in it so i was thinking the bean might make my beer cloudy,so i'll try the isinglass just in case.
Nothing wrong with Isinglass, just that I changed to  polyclar ;)

Back