• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Batch Down - Finally

Col Holloway

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am one excited brewer. After many years of extract brewing, I have finally purchased all of my equipment (the 9G kettle arrived during the week) and put down my first AG brew. Many lessons learned (got caught in the excitement and didn't note many of the equipment profile type readings).
I put down a golden ale - target SG was 1.058 - I measured 1.052. A little lower than hoped, but confident all will turn out well.  :)

I recently went AG myself and have truly enjoyed the change both in the positive outcomes of my brews and the relaxation I get from it. So far I have made a terrific Cream Ale and 2 batches of American Pale Ale that have all come out excellent. I love the fact that I can add things such as rice hulls or flaked wheat to improve clarity and head retention and the Beersmith tool has been a great tool. I look forward to reading the forum and seeing others adventure unfold as well. Good luck and keep brewing!

I also have just a few All Grain brews completed, and it is very satisfying!  I had a few kits left over and it almost feels like cheating to brew them!  I do have a couple of recipe's that require more grain than my mash tun can handle, but that big marine cooler in the shed is looking more and more like a mash tun!

Back