• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Long pauses during use

ScottKinD

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before but I don't see it.  Is there going to be a new version anytime soon to fix this?  Right now it make BS completely unusable for me.  Every 60 sec. or so I get a beach-ball that lasts maybe 10 to 15 sec., sometimes a lot longer.  Mid typing and blam one Mississippi, two Mississippi, ...

I know it's the auto backup going on but I use lots of programs that auto back up and none of them freeze for 20% of their run time doing it.

It's really maddening since the features got me hooked and I want to use BS but just trying to work out one recipe is so frustrating I want to slam stuff.

Going back to Beer Alchemy is really hard since I have all the updated info in BS and so many things would have to be manually added to BA's databases (part of what got me hooked with BS).

So now after years of using software I'm back using pencil and paper.

PLEASE release a fix for this.  I don't care if nothing else is in the fix.  I will bow in your direction and quaff a fine brew in your name if I can again use your software with out longing for the days before computers.

I have run BW 1.4 and 2.0 for a a long time and many, many times.  I have never run into this issue.  I have a single hard disk Windows 7 PC.  I also run Beersmith 2 on a Windows Laptop and a Hackintosh.

If you are running Windows, have you checked the System events to see if some anomaly is being reported. Like a problem with the hard disk?

I'm on a MBP running OS 10.6.8, not Windows.

This is a noted problem that has come up before.  An update to BS2, not sure which one, added an auto save that happens at a regular interval.  Before that it only happened while you were idle.  Dr. Smith has said there would be an option to change the behavior but it hasn't come out yet.

Since BS was developed for Windows for awhile now and is just coming to the Mac, I suspect this may only be a Mac problem.

I have it on 2 Windows 7 computers and it does it on both of them. I don't think blaming the computer is the right approach since this has been discussed before. This auto backup also causes me to have network crashes, I had to stop my laptop from going to sleep and remember to not close it while brewing.

I agree, the update to shut auto-update off is long over due. It shouldn't have made it out of testing.

And yet I have W7 and XP sp3 on three computers and have never seen this problem. Not sayin it isn't real, just that something else is suspect. Maybe a complete uninstall and a fresh install might be worth a try. I mean, clean the registry and everything! I'd also make sure that any virus/webprotection isnt hooking on somewhere. Turn it all off for a while and test.

BS2 is the BEST there is! Bar none! (I have no affiliation with the software other than as a Beta tester)

Hi,
  The problem has multiple causes:
  - I shortened the auto update time too much in the last build -- which I've fixed in the next version (also it will be adjustable now - as an option).
  - If you insert a large picture into a recipe BeerSmith is not properly scaling the image down - so this can cause really big recipe files (which take a long time to save).  This is also being fixed in the next update
  - If you really do have a lot of recipes, they can take a while to save, but usually this is secondary to the two issues above.

I am hoping to get the next patch out in a few weeks.  I'm just trying to make sure I clean up and test all of the bugs that I possibly can before finalizing it.  It will likely be posted here on the forum before I take it live on the main download page.

Brad

THanks Brad,  I know it takes awhile I just wanted to make sure it was still going because for me it's a killer.

Question.  Is it possible to go back a version or two as a temp fix?  I'm pretty sure I have the older installers.  I'm leery of trashing the databases.

"I'd also make sure that any virus/webprotection isnt hooking on somewhere. Turn it all off for a while and test."

I actually dumped my last AV on both computers.

It could be the amount of recipes. I have a lot of packs and years of my own. I'll have to try to dump the packs.

I'll try really hard to get an interim build out this week to at least publish the autosave option (since I have it done already).  I'll post it here on the forum.

Brad

Dumping the recipe packs seems to have cured it on this laptop at least. I switched around between tabs for 5 minutes and once one didn't change right away but I didn't get the waiting thing and definitely didn't have it go pale and say it wasn't responding.

While I was dumping packs I noticed others I wanted (I think I have a problem). While checking them out I didn't have it fail to respond and I'm sure that went on long enough to have hit it right to get the pause before.

But my bottles are all filled and with this heat I probably won't be brewing to really test it for a while.

Thanks,
  I'm on track to put out an interim patch tomorrow here on the forum that will at least allow the autosave configuration to be adjusted so you can control it.  Also a number of smaller items will be fixed in this build.

I'll actually be moving the recipe pack download into the background with a future build which will make things much easier.  I have the groundwork done for this, but need to complete a few more items before it is ready for release.

Brad

I'm sure dumping the recipe packs cured it. Now on the desktop that stores the folder I opened it, noted the time. Right around 5 minutes I noticed a slight hang but not long enough to give the waiting circle or go pale.

I'm almost tempted to see if the laptop can sleep without the network error now.

Yes,
  I recommend anyone having this issue go to the new release (build 2.0.64 beta) available here on the forum.  It has an adjustable autosave time (in options dialog).

Brad

I was having the same problem; seems to have fixed it with build 64. Thanks!

Back