• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How long to leave oak chips in secondary fermentation?

dbaurac

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm planning a batch of Russian Imperial Stout with oak and bourbon additions. For a 5-gallon batch, I plan to soak the oak chips in two cups of bourbon for about two weeks. When the primary fermentation is done, it would pour the oak-bourbon mix into the carboy and rack from the beer into the carboy for a three- or four-month secondary fermentation.

Here's my question: How long should the chips stay in the secondary? Should I leave them for the full three or four months or remove them after a couple of weeks?

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing the same here and hopefully someone will give us a god answer. I have the beer in the primary right now.

I’ve been doing tests the last couple of nights to see how much bourbon to add to a 5-gallon batch. I’ve tried 1, 1 ½ and 2 teaspoons of Kentucky bourbon in 6 oz. of Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout. The answer for my taste buds seems to be 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons, which translates to about 4 cups of bourbon in a 5-gallon batch of beer. It's unbelievably good.

I resolved this issue by using Jack Daniels Oak Chips. You get the best of both worlds. They are just JD barrels that have been ground up for use in grills and smokers, I use 2oz in the secondary for a week to 10 days. 

Thanks. Jack Daniels is one of the bourbons I've been testing. It is sooooo good in Russian Imperial Stout.

As a follow up to this thread I'm using Oak cubes instead of chips which are a little heavier than the chips any thoughts on how much I should use for a 5 gallon batch into the secondary and for how long?

Thanks

Back