• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

head space during fermentation...

S

saylinaway

How important is head space during fermentation?

i am sure you can have too little of it but can you have too much as well?

can i ferment 5-6 gallons in a 14 gallon primary without issues ???

Thanks

Wow, that would be a lot of headspace... I would think you could as long as it was sealed/covered, they have been fermenting in open fermenters long before the advent of the bucket  ;D and as far as too little, as long as you have a blow-off tube, it's not an issue.

Thanks

Yeah it would be alot of head space, but i figured that if it would work, i could buy into the future so to speak...  im sure someday i might want to make a bigger batch, and at my homebrew sotre they are only 15 dollars more than regular carboys...

I figured it would work but wanted to make sure before i invested!!  ;)

It should work.  The trouble with that large of a fermenter is lifting it.  when you have 10+ gallons of beer in there it will be very heavy.  Brewers with fermenters larger than 5 gallons tend to have pumps to move the beer/wort around or they use conicals on a stand so they can drain the fermented beer into a keg.

The 10 gallon brewers I know all ferment in either plastic buckets or 6.5 gal glass carboys and secondary in 5 gal carboys

Fred

VERY good point!!!

ouch!!!  :p

so they just split a 10 gal boil into two barboys huh???

that make s sense!!!  why didnt i think of that  ::)

Back