• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Infusion @ Filtering/ Kegging

PetenNewburg

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
  I'm getting ready to filter and keg a Double Imperial IPA.  I'ld like to give it one more hop addition prior to carbonation.  I want to get the most flavor out of its short time through the Hop Randell so I'm thinking of pre-soaking the hops in a mix of 1 cup water & 1 cup vodka.  How long should I allow the mix to soak? 
  The IPA has already had two 1lb corn sugar additions so it will have a warming effect.  Is there a way to figure the additional alcohol into the final ABV figure?  Or is it not enough to worry about?

I think nyou are in uncharted waters there Pete ,I soaked my raspberries for my merry berry raspberry lager in vodka and sugar for a while then added water and simmered the vodka off but I dont know what that will do to hops.
  p.s. I tried your late hop addition theory out on a pale ale last weekend Ill let you know, sure smells hoppy. I think they make nugget nectar like that so I think you are really on to something.This weekend a mighty imperial ipa

I did the final hop addition into the keg with soaked (4 hours in the 50/50 mix of distilled water & vodka) 1/2 ounce Northern Brewer.  The aroma is awesome!  I had intended to bottle today but lawn mowing/ trimming and neighbors testing the other brews ....  we'll bottle tomorrow!  :p  I did take it off of the co2. ( 72 hours @ 27 psi)  Both the IPA & Danish pilsner had late hop additions & were both dry hopped, the Danish Pils with a blend of Sazz & Hallertauer Mittelfrueh Hops is VERY smooth.  The flip top bottles have lost a good bit of carbonation, but there is still enough to keep flavors .
  I ‘ll bottle the Double Imperial IPA in the morning into 12 & 22 OZ press on cap type  bottles.  Samples will be ready for our local brew club meeting Saturday!!  I’ll take the IPA, 2xIPA, Danish Pils & Kitchen Sink Coffee Stout for review.  These will be my first submissions!!  I know I’ll get hit on some low carb’s, but the brews at least to my taste are very interesting!
  It’s a learning curve!

Am I right to say that you put a half ounce of hops in a randell for a 2x imperial IPA? I didnt think you would ever use less than a couple of oz hops in a IPA for flavor or aroma.

Well, it was all I could fit between the houseing and the filter.  Just got done adding 1/4 flare male fittings to the Hop Randell so I can now use both! It does have 9+ oz's hops!  The hop Randell will easily hold 2- 3 oz's of hops!!  :D  The batch made a little over 5 gallons, but 1 keg had a un-noticed leak so I could only bottle 5 bottles today of very nicely carbonated 2x Imperial IPA.
  I Force carbed with co2 72 hours @ 24 psi, 54 degrees, Then stopped 24 hours before bottleing to try to cut early bottling losses due to over pressure on the Blichmann Beer Gun.  I did bottle 4 bottles from the other keg just to use as a reference,, and well it just tasted so good..  Despite 18 lbs grain & 3 lbs corn sugar there is only a mild grain/ alcohol taste.  The hops flavor is awesome!  Smooth as silk, little to no bitterness.  After a few good swallows you realize your lips and tounge are turning numb .........  :eek:

Now yer talkin. I'll usualy use 4-5 oz. hops for a reglar IPA mostly for flavor. I like the citra for its fruity flavor but others are good too. Did ya ever do a bpa? I like the slight roast flavor in a beer so I use some black patent in almost all my brews.

I make a Robust Porter that is on the high end of bitterness scale and plan to add a late/  dry hop to that recipe.  I don't care for Rauch/ smoked malt or rye brews, have not made a bpa yet.  I think I will try doing my IPA with all late hop additions and several dry hop ounces.  Or maybe keg the next batch and serve it through the hop randell.
  The 2x IPA has great flavor, but at 10.4+ ABV it's not something to consume a large amount.  Something for summer like Dales Pale Ale served through the hop randell would be a awesome kick back and relax warm weather brew!  I may try my kegged Irish Stout through the hop randell, that could be interesting!  I have a couple open bags of hops that need used soon!

Back