• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging!!!

dwturnernc

Apprentice
Reaction score
What type of keg is easiest to maintain?  Sanke, pin or ball lock Cornellis? I'm am finished with bottling any suggestions?

Cornelius kegs' 5 gallon size makes them very convenient since that's the most common batch size for homebrewers.

Ball lock are most popular, I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the feed back! I have to Sanke 5 gallon kegs that a tenant left behind recently. They are hard to open. I just was wondering if a simpler option was available. I guess the question is do I want to spend the extra money on soda kegs or roll with what I have. 

I use the sanke kegs .... and while the cleaning and filling is a LITTLE more difficult, not really that much. An I prefer the tapping approachh like sanke does. You CAN open them, but I find that unnecessary. I have always cleaned, sanitized and filled right through the sanke tap.

There are videos to show how to remove the retaining ring to gain access to the "stem" but I opened one a week or two ago that I had been using for YEARS ..... and saw absolutely no grime/sediment/debris to cause any worry. Now that may be different if you dry hop right in the keg - or other methods like that - but I am just going to leave things be - since it works for me!

BY THE WAY, I DO make sure that the empty keg either sits in the kegerator (mine holds 3) until I am ready to flush and fill - or I clean and sanitize right after removal from the cold environment.

My 2 cents

I guess the question is do I want to spend the extra money on soda kegs or roll with what I have.

Soda kegs aren't as cheap as they used to be. When I purchased the ones I have I think I paid twenty bucks a piece, and now I'm lucky to find them twice that. Then there's the fittings and everything else.

My initial reply was without the knowledge that you had kegs in hand. 

You might be better off using what you have, especially if you have connectors and lines.  That and commercial kegerators are set up for sanke, not corney.

Cornelius Ball Lock 5 gallon kegs.
Midwest Supplies have consistent quality and low price.

Back