• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping

MikeinRH

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've done both ... dry hopping and not dry hopping. I am told that dry hopping does nothing more than add aroma ... the boil is what's really the key factor in delivering hop bitterness and aroma. If I'm after a 100+ IBU IPA, should I even waste the time dry hopping?

Do two otherwise identical batches with the only difference between them being that one was dry hopped and the other was not, and decide for yourself.

I read a article on late hopping that sounded interesting.  The article uses all of the hops starting with 30 minutes left in the boil.  Supposed to retain the bittering while smoothing it out.
  I just today racked to a keg my Strong IPA that had 50% of the bittering hops @ 60 (90 minute boil) then 10% @ 30, 20, 15, 10, 5 minutes remaining.  The IBU as per Beer Smith was 97.  I did a pair of dry hops, one for 14 days the other for ten days, they were both in together fo 10 days.  I filtered the brew through a Hop Randell with another ounce of hops.  Total amount of hops was 9 ounces!!  I sampled the sample used for the FG test, very smooth!!  You don't notice the 10.4% ABV,  much. ;)

I've done both and dry hopping does add a bigger waft of hop aroma.  However, I like to add 1oz of hops at 1 min or at flameout for my pale ales and IPAs.  It gives me very good aroma.  I will say that I do not filter out my hops from my wort.  I let them all sit together in my fermenter and I don't secondary. If I do secondary I get clearer beers but then I do toss a couple ounces of hops in a mesh paint strainer bag to the secondary to give a big aroma effect. 

That's just how I do it.

Take it easy and have a great Easter everyone!

Chris

Back