• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is the correct way to change boil time?

toddm

Apprentice
Reaction score
I often boil the wort for 60, 90, or 120 depending on style and ingredients. My last brew session I copied an older recipe that had a 90 minute boil. I decided this time I would only boil for 60 minutes so I changed the "boil time" in the recipe design window.

The total amount of water going into the kettle was way too much for a 60 minute boil. When I looked at the equipment used tag,  it was giving me a > 20% boil rate (I thought I had this at 11%).

What's the correct way to change a recipe from a 90 minute boil to 60 minute boil? Also when should I adjust the "boil time" parameter on the recipe design window?  Lastly, if I found that I collected too much wort, or I need to correct a too diluted pre-boil wort and choose to extend my boil, what's the best way to adjust & capture this correction?

I may have solved some of my issues. Some of this was finding what to search on.

I found the way I use BS is by setting the equipment profile to be a 60 minute boil. and have the "Use boil off as an hourly rate" checked. When I change length of boil to 90 minutes, it adjusts the est. preboil amount.  I'm not sure if others do it this way. For instance 60 minute boil needed 6.42 preboil to come up with 5 gallons in the fermenter. Now I can change the boil time to 90 minutes, and the preboil volume changes automatically to 6.77 gal.

Back