• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Mill Question

fgmguy

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just started brewing at Christmas (2011) and am now moving to all grain. I am considering getting a grain mill. My wife has a KitchenAide stand mixer and they sell a grain mill attachment. This attachment says that it will adjust from "barely cracked" to extra fine.

Does anybody know if this attachment works well for milling brew grains?

I have a Corona mill that I run with a power drill, and I imagine my results that are similar to what you would get with that.
As it is my brewhouse efficiency varies between low 70s and mid 80s. 
I figure that if I had a roller mill I could get more consistent results that stay in the 80s.

As long as you're going to spend money, I would recommend springing for a roller mill.

Search this site. There have been several discussions on the merits of different mills.

There's all kinds of them out there.  Shop around.

I have a cheap Chinese version of the Corona Mill.  I does a decent job by hand, but the casting quality is so poor that powering it with a drill yeilds very inconsistant results.  I have been looking at the various roller mills.  At this point the Barley Crusher list on the BeerSmith website looks like the best deal.  I will be moving up to 10+ gallon brews this summer so I think I'll go with the large hopper version.

Search lots of boards.  They all have their fans.  My 3D Crankandstein starts up with the hopper loaded and it takes longer to roll out the cart than it does to crush 20-25 lbs.

Back