• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Want to use your iPad with Beersmith? Here's How

mrkrispy

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Like most iPad users I am anxiously awaiting an iOS version of Beersmith.    In the meantime, here is a workaround:

I brew in my garage and like to plug numbers in to Beersmith to see where I am at.  However, my desktop is nowhere near the garage. 
The iPad App Store offers Remote Desktop Apps that allow you to view your normal ol PC/Mac desktop space using the iPad.    You can also control/manipulate the desktop like normal, but using your iPad.    I have a Mac Mini and found several that got decent reviews, I believe some offer PC versions as well. 

The one I downloaded is called SplashTop.    The server side (that runs on the desktop) was free.  The iOS app was $2, but within my first brewday I felt it was way worth it.  Another popular app is called LogMeIn, I am hoping to test that one out next.

You need to fire up your desktop and Beersmith.  Be sure to turn your "sleep" or whatever off, because you can't wake up the desktop from the iPad.    I usually open my recipe before I start brewing, then I can do whatever I need to from my iPad.  You can also fire up the Beersmith tools if you need to adjust on the fly.   

The only problem I have run in to so far is learning the gestures to control the desktop windows, because my desktop is at 1080p, not sure what the iPad is at.    So sometimes you are swiping trying to resize a window or scroll to find the check boxes in Beersmith.  I am sure there is an easier way to size the desktop first to make it more intuitive.

Another bonus is if you are brewing outside (or in your garage like me)  you can switch your iPad to watch videos or TV when you don't need Beersmith.  I suppose you could stream video from the desktop even using the Remote App. 

If anyone gives this a try please report back!

Another option that I have found works well for this is PocketCloud Remote Desktop by Wyse technologies. Their free app works great (or you can pay for the Pro version if you want).
FYI, they are in the process of being acquired by Dell.

Scott

For us die-hard Android users, there are also a lot of apps to do the same thing.  About the best I have found is X2.....they might even make an app for the Apple's too.

glienhard said:
For us die-hard Android users, there are also a lot of apps to do the same thing.  About the best I have found is X2.....they might even make an app for the Apple's too.

PocketCloud is for iOS or Android. They've got the bases covered.

Back