• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Residual CO2 and priming sugar

chubba27

Brewer
Reaction score
Currently have a batch of IPA that I'm getting ready to bottle.  It was brewed with Ringwood Ale yeast which recommends a diacetyl rest.  So, after fermenting at ~68F, I raised the temp to ~74F for a couple days before racking to a secondary and dry hopping.  It has been sitting in the secondary for about 2 weeks at around 63F. 

Question:
When trying to calculate residual CO2 when priming, do I do it based on the highest temp achieved (74F)  or on the temp the primary fermentation was done at (68F)?  i.e., what temperature do I put in the carbonation tool to get the correct amount of priming sugar to use?

Based on what you've done....I would recommend calculating the residual CO2 using 74F as your reference temperature.  Higher temps drive off CO2.  Once fermentation is complete, there is no further source of CO2 to replenish those losses. 

So, base your calculation on the highest 24-hour average storage temperature following the completion of fermentation. 

Back