• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

does honey change from source to source?

D

Doug

Hello. I have a good frined who has bees and gives me great deals on 60lb 5 gal buckets of clover honey. The question I have is, do I have to worry about the characteristics varying from the different times I get it, or if I were to get it from a different source? I know the color changes from variety to variety, but clover is "somewhat" (although I have seen it go from really light to somewhat dark) consisten in this regard. I am more concerned with the SG. Does anyone have any thoughts or known fact about this? I am starting to make MEAD now so I will be going through honey quite fast while I learn about mead.  

Thank you for your help
Doug

Honey will vary in color, flavor, and sugar content between batches.

You already have a good handle on color and flavor, that leaves sugar content.

IMHO unless you are concerned with hitting a specific gravity dead on, I wouldn't worry about it.  You may be off, but within the relmns of norm.

My advice, brew and be happy, the differences will not make a big difference.

Fred

Back