• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Different specs for absolutely same recipe?

Reaction score
I am brewing the same recipe twice and decided to name the brews separately and brew on different days so created the same recipe twice. To my surprise I noticed that the recipe predicted different things. For example IBU's differ, I looked very carefully at each of the hop profiles to ensure they were identical, same hop same alpha acid same beta acid both plugs both set at aroma both the same amount both boiled for the same length of time etc. As far as I can see each dimension is the same but one gives the IBU as 20.9 the other 22.7.
Colour is given as 21 and 22.1
It also shows water required as different even though nothing has changed between the recipes, why is that? Surely they should be identical.

This is not the only problem. I have changed my equipment profile to show that the boil off for a 27 litre batch is now 7 litres (I have added a second element). Despite creating new recipes since this change of profile BS fails to acknowledge this and gives boil off as 5.5 the previous amount I had in there.

All of this is very disturbing and is shaking my faith in the product

Hi TLRB,

"For example IBU's differ, I looked very carefully at each of the hop profiles to ensure they were identical, same hop same alpha acid same beta acid both plugs both set at aroma both the same amount both boiled for the same length of time etc. As far as I can see each dimension is the same but one gives the IBU as 20.9 the other 22.7."

Please check if you have selected pellet/leaf for your hops.
Regards,
Slurk

Things that affect hop utilization and IBU:

1.  Hop characteristics (you attest these are identical, ok).
2.  pre-boil gravity and volume.
3.  Boil-off rate (affects gravity change during boil).
4.  Hop utilization factor on equipment profile (or tools/options).
5.  Hop age rate/hop age.

Did you create the receipe twice, or did you create it once and make a COPY of the first recipe? 

Note that each recipe is a complete container that contains a COPY of everything from your inventory and profiles list at the time of addition to the recipe.  Equipment profile is the one that seems to catch a lot of people out.  So, every recipe contains a copy of your equipment profile. 

If you edit the equipment profile in the recipe itself...that change will only exist in that recipe. 

If you edit the equipment profile in the profiles list, that change will NOT be propogated to any existing recipes.  You would need to open each desired recipe, and delete the existing equipment profile and add the updated profile back from the profiles list. 

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

1) I do.
2) Might be onto someting here. One of the recipes is different because it has been brewed and the "measured" boxes have been filled with the numbers achieved so presumably this has altered things in the recipe as the program has real data and not estimates. Is that it? For example I got 36.5 litres into the boiler where as the estimate is 35.35 litres. I also saw that the trub loss was different so I placed the same number in the yet to be brewed recipe and the water requirements now match. Boil off rates are now the same, but not accurate as I still don't know how to force the changed equipment profile boil off rate (7 litres) into newly created recipe. I accept you can't change recipes created with previous equipment profiles and understand why.
3) Both recipes have a boil off rate of 5.5 litres, even though it is actually now 7 litres since I added a new element and I changed the profile before creating the new recipe , not copy, I don't know how to do that. In fact I had changed the profile before creating the first version of the recipe.
4) I have kept hop utilization at the default as suggested.
5)These have not been altered from the defaults either.

I created the recipe twice as I don't know how to copy and just used the same ingredients and weights.

I understand about each recipe being a complete container and that any later change in my equipment profile is not  carried back into that recipe it's the copy of my equipment profile that is most perplexing. If indeed every recipe contains a copy of my equipment profile why is it that the latest recipe (both cases I might add) is not reflecting the boil off change to 7 litres rather than 5.5, they were after all created after the equipment profile changes so I would expect EVERY new recipe to reflect this as this is the way things now are. the boil off rate is 7 not 5.5? You mention editing my equipment profile "in the recipe itself". I'm unsure about how you do this as I assumed you edited the equipment profile in and of itself, so that whenever you created a new recipe it would pull in the equipment profile from the latest version of it. Old recipes containing the equipment profile they were originally created with. Although of course if I wanted to re brew that recipe I would need to change the equipment profile because it has changed.

I don't know how to delete existing equipment profiles in a recipe and update it with the new profile, this alone would help enormously with this anomaly. Help with that would be appreciated. I should point out that I have created my own profile for my equipment and not used a default suggestion and that after the original creation I have edited this each time and not created a new profile, could this be the problem?

Thanks once again for your time on this.

Regards
Ashley

Back