• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

post-boil gravity not calculating correctly

klnosaj

Apprentice
Reaction score
The past few brews I've done have all come in with low OG's.  My pre-boil volume and gravity are correct and my post-boil volume is correct but the post-boil gravity is always lower than the software predicts.  Here's what I don't get: if I start with 7 gallons of pre-boil wort at 1.033, the post-boil gravity assuming 1 gallon loss to boil and evaporation should be 1.039 (rounded from 1.385) yet the software keeps telling me I should have a post-boil gravity of 1.041.  (33 points per gallon in 7 gallons = 231.  231 points in 6 gal = 1.0385)

My equipment profile is configured correctly from what I can tell.  The boil off rate is set to 1 gallon/hr and the boil time is 60 mins.  What gives?  I'm increasingly annoyed by always missing my OG. 

Check out this thread.  It's the way the program treats Trub loss. Sorry, i don't know how to post a link.

Topic: Trub Loss and Boil SG / Batch volumes  (Read 479 times)

Good luck
rick

Back