• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Synchronize function would be awesome

S

spoogenet

I use Beersmith on two different computers and my brewing buddy also uses it.  We end up with different data on different systems and have to coordinate our efforts to get it all the necessary info into all 3 systems.  What would be really nice is if a synchronizing feature could be built into Beersmith.

I'm sure there are a zillion ways it could be implemented but I'm not sure how much difficulty it is to do so.  I know it could get very complicated depending on how powerful the sync feature is, but at least some kind of simple system would be a good help.

An alternative suggestion would be a master database that could be put online where we could each access the data using our own copies of the program, data could be entered locally then synchronized with the master database.

b

Thanks for the suggestion.

A synchronize is possible, though you can do it manually by just exporting the entire recipe database and then using the Import and Merge command on the file menu to merge your old data with the new one (all are timestamped, so it works pretty well).

I really like the idea of the online database - and I have been looking at that possibility for some time.  The largest concern I have is making it robust enough to handle a very large number of recipes.

Thanks again!
Brad

Thanks for the suggestion of the Merge command, I obviously missed that one in my laziness.

An online database would definitely we awesome.  Too bad I can't offer much help beyond the suggestion.  Good luck with it.

b

Back