• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't open file error. BS2 is unusable

Wingfan13

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I am getting the following error

Can't Open File  C:\programfiles (x86)\beersmith2/reports/bsxtmp_19918.htm'(error5:access is denied)

Here is what I did to get this started.  I was trying to move recipes into a dropbox folder.  I messed around with changing the document directories.  When I went to change it back from where I moved it I started getting all these errors.  To try to fix it I uninstalled BS2 and deleted the beersmith2 folder.  I then reinstalled and it is still happening.  I dont mind losing all my data.  I only had about 7 recipes added.  I guess I just need to know how to truly wipe the machine clean of anything Beersmith so I can reinstall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edit**  I should also mention that when I close BS2 down it gives me a an error saving table for a bunch of different items.  It also makes me activate the software when I try to open it each time.

Hi,
  It looks like in the process of moving directories around you may have pointed it to a bad directory (it should not go to Program files) or some directory that does not exist.

Reinstalling won't fix it - since the location for the directory is in the registry.

If you can get BeerSmith to run, try using Change Documents Dir to change it back to an existing directory (create one if needed) such as Documents/BeerSmith2

If you can't get it to run at all, drop me an email and I will look up the location for editing the registry entry so you can start from scratch.

I don't personally recommend using dropbox for sharing recipes as it is very easy to open your program on both machines and start overwriting each other.  It also creates problems with reports and previews on many machines.

I will have a new version (BeerSmith 2.1) coming next week which will make it easy to share recipes across machines using a "cloud" folder.

Cheers,
Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,
  It looks like in the process of moving directories around you may have pointed it to a bad directory (it should not go to Program files) or some directory that does not exist.

Reinstalling won't fix it - since the location for the directory is in the registry.

If you can get BeerSmith to run, try using Change Documents Dir to change it back to an existing directory (create one if needed) such as Documents/BeerSmith2

If you can't get it to run at all, drop me an email and I will look up the location for editing the registry entry so you can start from scratch.

I don't personally recommend using dropbox for sharing recipes as it is very easy to open your program on both machines and start overwriting each other.  It also creates problems with reports and previews on many machines.

I will have a new version (BeerSmith 2.1) coming next week which will make it easy to share recipes across machines using a "cloud" folder.

Cheers,
Brad

That worked.  Thanks a lot.  I am not using Dropbox to view recipes on more than one computer.  Well, technically maybe I am.  I downloaded Brewbuddy for my phone and was trying to share recipes with it.  I appreciate the help and it looks like I am up and running.

Back