• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add Hop to ingredients from downloaded recipe

Toy4Rick

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I downloaded a recipe that contains a Hop that is not in the DB, can it be added directly from the recipe so it can be used in other recipes or do I need to add it manually?

Falconer's Flight is the hop in question

Toy4Rick

You cannot add any ingredients to the the list from the recipe screen.  To add ingredients, over on the left side or top you will find the Ingredients tab.  Open this and choose the category you wish.  Once you are in, there will be an add button that will appear up at the top.  Click this and add what you need to.

Once you have that done, you will be able to go back into your recipe and choose the ingredient you just added.

Cheers!

Actually, it IS possible to extract anything from a recipe in BeerXML format.  It does take a small amount of work, though.  I'd only both if there were several things in the recipe that I wanted to extract.  For a single hop its not worth the trouble to me.

Anyway....if you are so inclined, you can open the XML file in a text editor.  See http://www.beerxml.com/ for the file format.  But for this task, you just need to know the basic structure.

It will look like this:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><RECIPES>
<RECIPE>
 <HOPS>
<HOP>
 <NAME>Columbus (Tomahawk)</NAME>
 <VERSION>1</VERSION>
 <ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
 <ALPHA>14.0000000</ALPHA>
 <AMOUNT>0.1215339</AMOUNT>
 <USE>Boil</USE>
 <TIME>90.0000000</TIME>
 <NOTES>Engineered Centennial Substitute - High alpha bittering hops.
Used for: Bittering, flavor, aroma - IPA, American Pale Ale, Stout, Lager
Aroma: Pungent, spicy. Strongly aromatic, but clean tasting bitterness
Substitutes: Centennial</NOTES>
 <TYPE>Bittering</TYPE>
 <FORM>Leaf</FORM>
 <BETA>5.0000000</BETA>
 <HSI>40.0000000</HSI>
 <DISPLAY_AMOUNT>4.29 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
 <INVENTORY>0.00 oz</INVENTORY>
 <DISPLAY_TIME>90.0 min</DISPLAY_TIME>
</HOP>
.....repeat for each hop.....
</HOPS>
.....lots of other stuff from the recipe.......
</RECIPE>
</RECIPES>

To extract JUST THE HOPS from the above....you want to delete everything except the hops.  You need to leave this part at the very beginning of the file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

Then you want to delete everything else except the
Code:
<HOPS>
<HOP>
</HOP>
<HOP>
</HOP>
</HOPS>

After you are finished it should look like this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><HOPS>
<HOP>
 <NAME>Columbus (Tomahawk)</NAME>
 <VERSION>1</VERSION>
 <ORIGIN>U.S.</ORIGIN>
 <ALPHA>14.0000000</ALPHA>
 <AMOUNT>0.1215339</AMOUNT>
 <USE>Boil</USE>
 <TIME>90.0000000</TIME>
 <NOTES>Engineered Centennial Substitute - High alpha bittering hops.
Used for: Bittering, flavor, aroma - IPA, American Pale Ale, Stout, Lager
Aroma: Pungent, spicy. Strongly aromatic, but clean tasting bitterness
Substitutes: Centennial</NOTES>
 <TYPE>Bittering</TYPE>
 <FORM>Leaf</FORM>
 <BETA>5.0000000</BETA>
 <HSI>40.0000000</HSI>
 <DISPLAY_AMOUNT>4.29 oz</DISPLAY_AMOUNT>
 <INVENTORY>0.00 oz</INVENTORY>
 <DISPLAY_TIME>90.0 min</DISPLAY_TIME>
</HOP>
.....repeat for each hop.....
</HOPS>

Then save the file with a different name...eg: recipe_X_hops.xml

Now, you can use beersmith to open the recipe_X_hops.xml file and it will have all of the hops from the recipe in a list. Cut and paste them into your HOPS ingredients list. 

You can use this same approach to extract anything else you need to from a recipe in XML format.  Just delete everything except the first line and the part you are interested in from the file and then open it in beersmith.

Hi,
  Actually its even simpler than that. 

Lets say you download a recipe with an ingredient you don't have in your database.  Just open the recipe and select that one ingredient in the design page (list of ingredients), then use the "Save Item" button to the right of the ingredients list and it will save that ingredient in your permanent store (Hops, Grains, Water, etc depending on what it is).

Brad

BeerSmith said:
Hi,

Lets say you download a recipe with an ingredient you don't have in your database.  Just open the recipe and select that one ingredient in the design page (list of ingredients), then use the "Save Item" button to the right of the ingredients list and it will save that ingredient in your permanent store (Hops, Grains, Water, etc depending on what it is).

Brad

Who knew?  Ha!  I've never even noticed that button before!!!!!  I thought I'd messed with every button and function in the application (at least on the all-grain side of things). 

BeerSmith said:
Hi,

Brad

That is great, thanks Brad!  I guess I never had a need to do that, but it is good to know that option is available.

Hi I am brand new here and with the software, so bare with me. I add hops and it was easy. but now I wanted to add corn sugar. I see it listed in the carbonation side. but I wanted to add it to my inventory. So I thought thru the Misc part. But it seems I can not type in the information about it. any suggestion

trhanks
chuck Peterson

Chuck,

The Miscellaneous section is for adjuncts, like flavor extracts, irish moss, oak chips, orange peel, etc.  If I understand correctly, you are wanting to add corn sugar into your wort to boost your OG.  In this case, you will find sugars like this in the Grain section.  If you sort by type, you will find several different types.  Let us know if that is what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Back